Video is taking content marketing by storm, but you’ll have to do more than just make one to realise its full potential.
With online video quickly becoming a key means for people to satisfy their information and entertainment needs, small businesses that fail to include it in their internet marketing strategies will do so at their peril.
Various studies show more than half of companies are already making use of the medium – a figure that’s predicted to rise as more and more realise the possibilities. Nielsen claims 64% of marketers expect video to dominate their strategies in the near future. It’s not difficult to see why.
But is video really possible for small businesses? Absolutely. Production costs have fallen significantly in recent years and you no longer need to be a technical whiz to work out how to use it. Apps such as Twitter’s Vine, with its six-second maximum clip length, have dramatically increased the opportunity for businesses on a limited budget to get stuck in. Nevertheless, if you’re to realise a decent return on your investment, you will need to bear the following in mind.
Always consider the audience you are trying to reach and ensure the video is relevant to them. If it’s not the most appropriate means of getting your message across, you are probably wasting your time.
Do not neglect social media and be sure to promote across multiple channels. If you want to fully realise video’s potential, you must make it easy for users to find and share it. There are many tools to help manage multiple social media channels and our favourite is HootSuite.
Finally, be creative, not only with the videos themselves but in the campaign strategy you build around them. Get that bit right and video won’t just be the future of content marketing, it’ll be the future of content marketing for you.
Here are some stats that predict the rising influence of videos (feel free to tweet the ones you like):
• 44% of U.S. email marketers report increased engagement rates in messages containing video.
MOBILE DEVICES ACCOUNT FOR 10% OF GLOBAL ONLINE VIDEO PLAYS.
• 25% of viewing time of streaming video on tablets is spent with content more than 60 minutes long.
THE EQUIVALENT OF 100 HOURS OF VIDEO IS UPLOADED TO YOUTUBE EACH MINUTE.
• 13% of online video ads run less than 15 seconds.
• 36% of online video ads run longer than 30 seconds.
• 79% of in-stream online video ads are watched to their midpoints.
• 72% of in-stream online video ads are watched to their completions.
CONSUMERS ARE 27X MORE LIKELY TO CLICK THROUGH ONLINE VIDEO ADS THAN STANDARD BANNERS.
• U.S. digital video ad spending will nearly double in only 4 years, climbing from $4.14 billion this year to $8.04 billion in 2016.
• The video CPM for mistier sites and placements this year is approximately $25 and reaches nearly $33 for premium destinations.
• Text-based display ads are actually growing at a faster pace than rich media ads (both more then 16%).
Interactive preroll outperforms regular preroll when it comes to lifting brand awareness, message association, and purchase intent.
• 48% of U.S. mobile users prefer mobile video ads related to the content of the video clips being watched.
SOCIAL AND MOBILE GAMING VIDEO ADS HAVE A 91% COMPLETION RATE.
To find out more about Helios Media Design and our views on content marketing, visit here: